Present An EDM Tune in Class:
1. Form small groups of 2 to 4 people.
2. Pick an EDM tune to analyze for your class presentation. What genre is your tune? What’s the overall form in terms of sections? Where are the drops? How are they created?
3. How is the beat structured? What are the turnaround points like? How long are the phrases or cycles? Is the repetition always exact or are there variations? How are similarity and contrast created?
4. How is filtering used? How are audio effects such as delay, echo, filter delay, auto pan, auto filter and reverb used? Describe any risers & washouts.
5. Is there any interesting sampling? What makes it interesting? What is its purpose?
6. What about the pitch content? What key is it in? Analyze the pitch material, i.e., what are the melodies, bass lines or chord progressions like? Transcribe it into Ableton for extra credit!
7. Anything else that interests you …
8. Use an outline during your Class Presentation and upload it on the Canvas Assignment Submission page either before or after class.