Location: Stoeckel Hall, Rm. 407
Analysis2: ‘Xtra-Class’ Presentations
Present A Broken Beat or Hybrid Tune in Class!
1. Form small groups of 2 to 4 people only.
2. Pick an EDM tune to analyze for your class presentation. What genre is your tune? You choose! What’s the overall form in terms of sections? Where are the drops? How are they created?
3. How is the beat structured? What are the turnaround points like? How long are the phrases or cycles? Is the repetition always exact or are there variations? How are similarity and contrast created?
4. Are lyrics used? How are they structured? How long are the verses and choruses? Is the repetition and/or variations in the lyrics? How are similarity and contrast created with the lyrics?
5. Focus on various segments. In these segments, how is filtering used? How are audio effects such as simple delay, ping pong delay, filter delay, auto pan, auto filter, chorus, flanger, reverb, stutter and vocoder used? Describe any risers, washouts, wobbles or other distinctive EDM gestures.
6. Is there any interesting sampling? What makes it interesting? What is its purpose?
7. What about the pitch content? What key is it in? Analyze some of the pitch material here or there, i.e., what are the melodies, bass lines or chord progressions like? Transcribe it into Ableton for extra credit!
8. Anything else that interests you …
9. Use an outline during your ‘Xtra-Class’ Presentation and upload it here either before or after class.